A letter from Michelle Niehaus, LCSW
We are excited to announce that it's now recruitment time for the 2013-2014 Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services AmeriCorps team!
Working with the KY Division of Behavioral Health, AmeriCorps members will work across the state to address the unmet needs of individuals who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing with behavioral health, developmental / intellectual disabilities, or substance abuse related needs.
Here are some of the exciting projects that this year's class is tackling:
- Working 1:1 with individuals in Supports for Community Living programs offering companionship and working on goals
- Working 1:1 with individuals who are consumers at Seven Counties Services and want additional support for independent living or learning more sign language
- Working with Participation Station, a Peer-Run agency in Lexington, to make services to individuals who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing with Serious Mental Illness more accessible
- Assisting Vocational Rehabilitation consumers with transportation, interview skills, housing, and job searches
- Collaborating with the EKU Residence Hall program to develop the first ASL floors on campus
- Volunteering with organizations like the KY Commission on the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Hands & Voices, and Kentucky School for the Deaf
We will have up to eight slots available for next year's class. Please see the attached flier for more information and spread the word! Individuals who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing are encouraged to apply!
Let's make it another great AmeriCorps year!
Michelle Niehaus, LCSW
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services
KY Division of Behavioral Health
See the position description for more details.